It is not a secret that WordPress is the most powerful and easiest blogging and website creation system in existence today.
WordPress caters equally to developers as well as non-developers. While developers create the major chunk of WordPress users, there is no denying that a vast majority of WordPress users are non-developers, which are called regular users in simple terms. These regular users have little or no knowledge of technical aspect of WordPress. They simply use the already existing WordPress themes and plugins, which are developed by developers or power users. They have almost none or very little knowledge of how a backend of WordPress website would work or what kind of coding languages is being used to develop any theme or plugin.
In order to cater the technical needs of developers, regular users and power users almost equally, WordPress has come up with a new API called WordPress JSON REST API, which actually bridges the gap among developers, power users and regular users when it comes to the understanding of principles and ideas of WordPress.
Since last year, the release of this API is creating a lot of buzz among developers and power users but the regular users are still unaware of what WordPress JSON REST API is all about. This blog tries to cover about WordPress JSON REST API for those users who are not aware of the developers’ terms and lingos. This will help the users know how they can be benefitted by this universal API and what the future of WordPress looks like with WP JSON REST API in picture.
Read on if you want to know more about WordPress JSON REST API and also how this API can be used in your website and what other developers are doing with it.
Keeping the regular users technical knowledge in mind, let us start from the very basic.
What is an API?
API (Application Programming Interface) is the software, which lets two or more programs interact with each other in a clear defined way. For example, we often are asked to login through our Face book credentials on some other website. In cases like such, the APIs comes into picture. They expose certain internal functions of the primary application (in this e.g. capturing the user id and password from Face book) so that the outside developers can use them in their own websites.
APIs play a major role in hand to hand collaboration within different websites.
What is REST API?
REST is the short form of REpresentational State Transfer. This is a lightweight way of communicating between a producer (e.g. Facebook) and a consumer (e.g. Facebook client). This way of communication takes less bandwidth which makes it a great solution for high volume web services like Google, Facebook, Twitter and now WordPress.
What is WordPress JSON REST API?
Hence, in simple words we can say that WordPress JSON REST API is a tool which can help the developers or users share data from their WordPress websites to other websites or applications.
Additionally, WordPress JSON REST API lets the users Create, Read, Update and Delete (CRUD) on their WordPress content which includes their posts, pages, custom posts, media, comments, Taxonomies or users.
Benefits of WordPress JSON REST API:
- Most of the WordPress function are coded in Java Script. Any java script based WordPress function can be improved with WP JSON REST API. Few examples of java script based WordPress functions are backbone.js themes or plugins, populating infinite scrolls, form validation/submission, front-end content editing etc.
- With WP JSON REST API, users can display, create or update content from another site within the network.
- Users can display, create or update content from a separate WordPress website using WP JSON REST API which may exist in different networks.
- Most importantly, WP JSON REST API allows the users to break free from WordPress which gives its users a lot of control on how they would want their content to be experienced. For example, it lets the users display and manage their content on desktop or mobile application which may or may not be the official WordPress App.
- WP JSON REST helps integrate your content with other application platforms. Seamless interaction can be produced between WordPress websites and other application platforms which may not be built on PHP or any code language used in WordPress.
How does WP JSON REST API play an integral role in the future of WordPress?
WP JSON REST API will help taking the WordPress to become one fully fledged application platform.
It is considered to be the one thing which will revolutionize WordPress.
It is predicted that this API will open up WordPress to many more usages as a framework or platform like using WordPress as a complete media manager and file sharing solution.
The JSON REST API will also allow the developers and users to easily do things from outside the WordPress dashboard which was very difficult to do otherwise.
This API will enable front end developers or regular users to build themes on WordPress without needing to know PHP or many WP quirks which a power user or developer might easily understand.
If you are an advanced developer, regular user or a power user, just sit and relax while this API will make the work of regular users very easy and at the same time advanced developers will feel at home.